Community Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in north suburban Lincolnshire, Illinois, seeks a qualified lay individual (non-clergy) to serve as part-time Director for its Youth and Children’s Ministry.
The church, established in 1964, has approximately 150 members. It is situated in southeast Lake County, 32 miles from the Chicago Loop and 20 miles from O’Hare Airport.
- Minimum: bachelor’s degree.
- Preferred: Completed coursework in child and adolescent development or education.
- Minimum: Volunteer experience with programs for kindergarten through 12th grade in church or other non-profit organizations.
- Preferred: at least one year in a church staff position.
- Denominational Affiliation:
- Preferred: Mainline Protestant (e.g., Christian Church-Disciples of Christ, United Methodist, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Presbyterian Church (USA), American Baptist, United Church of Christ), Episcopal Church.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to build rapport with people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Ability to collaborate with church leadership to test ideas and to evaluate, plan and implement programs that reach/engage youth and children around Christian principles.
- Computer expertise
- MS Office
- Google Workspace
- Maintain regular contact with each family who have school-age children in the congregation.
- Recruit, train, and schedule children’s Sunday School teachers.
- Work with leaders to review, recommend, order, and purchase materials to support the children’s Sunday School program held during the 10:00 a.m. worship service.
- Serve as a teacher on a regular basis.
- Organize a ministry for 5th through 12th grade youth, coordinating regular gatherings.
- Plan and implement special activities, such as retreats and events/outings primarily of a social nature. As appropriate, plan separate activities for younger and older age groups.
- Plan and implement local service opportunities.
- Maintain a group of adult volunteers as drivers and other support.
- Maintain compliance with the Child Protection Policy of Community Christian Church regarding all activities and training of volunteers.
- Maintain compliance with authorization procedures, such as those regarding emergency contacts and liability waivers.
- As requested, for youth, coordinate a one-week summer mission trip, including fundraising and logistics.
- Work with lay leadership and the Senior Minister to carry out the responsibilities listed above, and to identify themes and curriculum for children and youth.
- Arrange and/or attend meetings of the Youth Leadership Team (YLT) and Children’s Ministries committee for planning and coordination.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Reports directly to the Senior Minister.
- A salaried position averaging 16 hours per week.
- Some overnight availability is required for retreats, youth mission trips, and regional denominational activities.
- Vacation is provided.
To express interest in this position, please send resume and cover letter to: [email protected].