Posting: Director of Youth and Children’s Ministry
Community Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in north suburban Lincolnshire, Illinois, seeks a qualified individual to serve as Part-Time Director for its Youth and Children’s Ministry.
The church, established in 1964, has approximately 250 members. It is located in southeast Lake County, 32 miles from the Chicago Loop and 20 miles from O’Hare Airport.
- Education. Minimum: Bachelor’s Degree. Preferred: Completed coursework in child and adolescent development or education.
- Experience. Minimum: Volunteer experience with programs for kindergarten through 12th grade in church or other non-profit organizations. Preferred: at least one year in a church staff position.
- Denominational Affiliation. Preferred: Mainline Protestant (e.g., Christian Church-Disciples of Christ, United Methodist, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Presbyterian Church (USA), American Baptist, United Church of Christ), Episcopal Church.
- Other. Strong interpersonal and communication skills that build rapport with people across all ages and backgrounds. Ability to collaborate with church leadership to test ideas and to evaluate, plan and implement programs that reach/engage youth and children around Christian principles.
- Organize, oversee, and lead a vital ministry for 5th through 12th grade youth, coordinating regular gatherings. Plan and implement special activities, such as lock-ins, retreats, etc. As appropriate, plan separate activities for younger and older age groups.
- For youth, plan and implement local service opportunities and an annual one-week youth mission trip, including fundraising and logistics.
- Recruit, train and schedule children’s Sunday School teachers. Work with leaders to review, recommend, order and purchase materials to support the children’s Sunday School program.
- Maintain a group of adult volunteers for drivers and other support. Maintain compliance with the Child Protection Policy of Community Christian Church regarding all activities and volunteer onboarding. Maintain compliance with authorization procedures, such as those regarding emergency contacts and liability waivers.
- Establish and nurture a positive relationship with each school-age child and their parents in the congregation.
- Work with lay leadership and the Senior Minister to carry out the responsibilities listed above, and to identify themes and curriculum for children and youth. Arrange and/or attend meetings of the Youth Leadership Team (YLT) and Children’s Ministries committee for planning and coordination.
- May be requested to occasionally lead worship services, possibly to include the sermon, when the Senior Minister is not present.
Salary from $13,000 a year
A salaried position averaging 16 hours per week. Reports directly to the Senior Minister. Some overnight availability required for retreats, annual youth mission trips and regional denominational activities. Vacation and expense reimbursement are provided. Sunday personal absences (including vacation) are limited to four per year by prior arrangement with the Senior Minister. References required. To express interest in this position, send resume and cover letter to [email protected]