Posting: Worship Leader
Community Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in north suburban Lincolnshire, Illinois, seeks a qualified individual to serve as Worship Leader. This is a new part-time position. The successful candidate will take initiative to develop performers and repertoire to continue a shift in the blend of music used in worship from traditional toward contemporary. The scope of the responsibilities includes management of audio equipment, video projection and streaming/recording of worship services.
The church, established in 1964, has approximately 250 members. It is located in southeast Lake County, 32 miles from the Chicago Loop and 20 miles from O’Hare Airport.
- Two years experience as a paid musician. Candidates with focused experience leading music ministry in a church setting are highly preferred.
- Performance experience for live audiences with instrumental proficiency in vocals (SATB), keyboard (treble and bass clefs), and guitar.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a focus in music or music education preferred.
- Plan the musical and audio-visual aspects of the main weekly Sunday worship service. With review by the senior minister, choose congregational hymns and songs that engage the congregation and support the reading and preaching of God’s Word.
- Authentically model and lead worship in an invitational style that encourages participation..
- Recruit, teach, and train musicians in the church to serve the congregation.
- Plan and lead rehearsals that sufficiently prepare participants for a worshipful experience
- Schedule in advance (for example, three months) to enable purchase and arrangement of music, rehearsal to introduce new congregational hymns and other service music, and scheduling of guest musicians.
- Prepare annual budgets for expenditures for music purchases, license fees, and guest musicians. Expenditures are approved by the Worship Committee Chair.
- Prepare a plan for initial purchase and replacement of items such as sound equipment, stands, instruments, computers and software. The scope suitable sound quality for content for on-demand audio or video streams.
A salaried position with the expectation of 15 to 20 hours per week, including Sunday mornings, rehearsals, and work from home. Reports directly to the Senior Minister. Sunday personal absences (including vacation) are limited to six per year by prior arrangement with the Senior Minister.
To express interest in this position, send resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Candidates should be prepared to submit (1) videos of themselves leading worship in a group setting, and (2) the contact information for two references.