Save the Date for our 2018 Regional Assembly. Oct. 19-20, 2018 at The Chateau in Bloomington, IL. Rev. Teresa “Terri” Hord Owens will be our speaker (current candidate for General Minister and President.) The emphasis will be on our General Church priority on ministry with and for Children, Youth and Young Adults.
A message from the 2016 Mission Council We, the members of the Mission Council, having joined together in prayerful worship of God, spent days in conversation and discernment listening to input from many Mission Gatherings across our church. We were also inspired by our global church partner, Rev. Dr. Moiseraele Prince Dibeela, of the United Congregational Church of Southern Africa, and by worship and the study of Holy Scripture.
From Mission Gatherings we heard that God is well at work in many ways. We are overwhelmingly called to be a Church that passionately:
- Responds with compassion to the vulnerable;
- Creates communities of inclusion and care;
- Overcomes ongoing and deeply entrenched injustice resisting racism and other forms of injustice in order to affirm the fullness of life for all God’s children;
- Works together in common cause with ecumenical and global ministry partners.
We also heard a call to focus our efforts for a time on areas in which the above actions intersect with the lives of children, youth, and young adults; thus, enhancing our presence in ways that illuminate God’s mission.
New Priority God calls us to work with and for children, youth, and young adults so together we may share and receive the good news of Jesus Christ by creating communities of healing, learning and transformation.
We are Disciples of Christ, a movement for wholeness in a fragmented world. As part of the one body of Christ, we welcome all to the Lord’s Table as God has welcomed us.
- Our Vision: to be a faithful, growing church, that demonstrates true community, deep Christian spirituality, and a passion for justice. (Micah 6:8)
- Our Mission: to be and to share the good news of Jesus Christ, witnessing, loving and serving, from our doorsteps to the ends of the earth. (Acts 1:8)
- Our Imperative: to strengthen congregational life for mission. (Ephesians 4:11-13. 15-16)
- On-going Priorities:
- Becoming a Pro-Reconciling/Anti-Racist Church
- The formation of 1000 new congregations by 2020
- The transformation of 1000 congregations
- Calling and forming of new leaders; reforming of current leaders