United Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Country Club Hills, IL 60478
4351 W. 180th St.
Rev. Cheryl P. Jackson
POSITION Assistant Minister/Youth Pastor
CLASSIFICATION Salaried Part-time
SCHEDULE 20-25 Hours per week including special events/Youth Activities (mutually agreed dates)
REPORT Senior Minister in cooperation with the Christian Education Chair
Under the direction of the Senior Minister and in cooperation with the Christian Education Ministry Chair, the Assistant Minister/Youth Pastor will have primary responsibility to provide for the spiritual growth of the youth in the congregation through age appropriate planned activities and special events that will minister to them and their families. Assist the Senior Minister in cooperation with existing ministries to design, develop, and implement evolving ministries such as Young Adults, Community Outreach and Health. Actively engage in the nurture, guidance and growth into Christian and Spiritual life of the church according to the Word of God by providing a role in promoting programs in bible study, prayer and pastoral care of the congregation.
- Ordained or commissioned in Ministry by the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Illinois and Wisconsin Region and/or acceptance in the Ordination process with a willingness to pursue history and polity courses offered by the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
- Master of Divinity or in the process for the completion of Master of Divinity Degree and/or equivalent training or experience.
- Formal training and/or combination of training and experiences in developing, administering and assessing the effectiveness of youth programs.
- Completion of a minimum of one unit of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) training
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to demonstrate compassion and patience in a congregational church model.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Above average communication skills (verbal and writing)
- Above average knowledge of current and emerging social media and computer applications.
- Must be FLEXIBLE to accommodate Youth Camp and Vacation Bible School schedules.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
will include but not limited to:
- Take an active role in preparation and participation in weekly worship service.
- Work closely with the Senior Minister and Christian Education Ministry to develop long-range goals and short-term objectives for ongoing age appropriate Christian Education programming.
- With the Senior Minister, provide leadership in planning, administering programs and events that will benefit the spiritual life of the youth and Christian growth of the entire congregation.
- Report monthly to the church board by providing a written summary of plans, goals and accomplishments.
- Work with Senior Minister to provide regular training for leader i.e. ministry chairs, elders and diaconate.
- Assist Senior Minister with pastoral care of the congregation.
- Provide pastoral care to the youth of the congregation and their families in crisis situations (i.e. illness, death, instances of violence etc.), update Senior Minister and make appropriate referrals to professional (support) networks.
- Develop and implement effective publicity for youth activities on a timely basis.
- Represent Senior Minister and congregation at community functions when necessary.
- Participation in leadership serving on committees and/or councils of the regional and General church.
- Assume a regular teaching assignment i.e. bible study, Sunday school class, Disciples history class, workshops, etc.
- Training and scheduling of Acolytes.
Download Job Discription