CCIW SPRING GATHERING – Jesus Calls, R U Listening
Attention: Disciples Women have you registered for the Spring Gathering yet?
Registration deadline is April 1, 2014. Cost $35.00
[ujicountdown id=”Small Black” expire=”2014/04/01 23:00″ hide = “true”]
APRIL 12, 2014
9:30 AM to 3:00 PM
At the Chiara Center
4849 LaVerna Road Springfield, IL
Sponsored by the CCIW Disciples Women Cabinet
God is calling… what do you hear?
We will be doing another basket auction at our Spring Women’s Event April 12th. The proceeds are going to support Chris Baker at INK 180 and his work with victims of human trafficking. God is calling… what do you hear? This is the theme for the baskets for the auction. You are invited to bring a basket if you like, or of course, peruse those available and bid on your favorite!
The cost for this event is $35.00
The CCIW Women’s Cabinet and Rev. Dr. Christal Williams have a great day planned for you on Saturday, April 12, 2014 at the Chiara Center in Springfield, IL.
Here are a few highlights of the day:
- Start your day at 9:30am with registration, coffee, tea, pastries, fruit and fellowship time with other women from throughout the CCIW Region.
- Be prepared to begin the morning with Worship at 10:00am.
- Throughout the day we will be taking time to pray, enjoy skits, study, reflect and learn about a service project.
- Review and purchase study materials. Limited quantities will be available for $12.00 per copy.
- An opportunity to hear from Keynote Speaker – Sheila Spencer, Assistant to the President and Director of Christian Education and Faith Formation with Disciples Home Missions.
- Learn more about Chris Baker and what he does for human trafficking.
- Enjoy lunch consisting of soup, salad, sandwich and beverage.
- What Women’s Event would be complete without a chance to shop? A Fair Trade Display will be set up with a wide variety of items available for you to purchase for yourself or as a gift.
- Silent Auction – You will have an opportunity to bid on and possibly take home a Where Do You Hear Jesus? Themed Centerpiece bag or basket. The monies will be used to assist with projects of the IDWM, regional ministries and to support the eradication and the fight against Human trafficking.
- Talk and learn more about Quadrennial.
- Blessing Box Dedication – Don’t forget to bring your Blessing Box Offerings with you.
- After being blessed with an Enlightening Day we will depart at 3:00pm following our Afternoon Worship.
Did you know that the Chiara Center also has guest rooms available if you want to arrive on Friday evening and take time to relax before we gather on Saturday? They have a limited number of rooms available. The cost is $66.00 for a single room and $47.50 per person for a double occupancy room. Contact the Chiara Center at (217)523-0917 for more information and to make overnight accommodations.
More exciting information and opportunities for Disciples Women attending the CCIW Spring Gathering:
Study Resource Available at Spring Gathering
Each year since its inception Just Women, the official study resource for Disciples Women’s Ministries, has included a multi-session bible study as its Spring issue. Beginning with the book of Joshua, taking on the challenge of the book of Revelation, and offering a word of hope from Exodus and Deuteronomy. These studies have offered provocative insights and questions from our ecumenical sisters. This year, the 2014 Spring issue of Just Women will focus on “Women of the Bible: Seeking Justice.” The self-contained study has been written by leaders and scholars of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). The writers include:
- Rev. Dr. Sharon Watkins, General Minister and President CC(DOC) – introduction;
- Rev. Dr. Lisa W. Davison, Professor of Hebrew Bible at Phillips Theological Seminary – Ruth & Naomi / Bathsheba;
- Rev. Dr. Irie Session, pastoral/spiritual director for New Friends, New Life – Jephthah’s daughter / Tamar;
- Rev. Dr. Nohemi Pagan, missionary and writer – Esther & Vashti / Sarah & Hagar;
- Rev. Sandhya Jha, founder of Oakland Peace Center – Rachel & Leah / Hannah & Elizabeth; and
- Rev. Kathy McDowell, minister and freelance writer – lesson guide.
Limited quantities of this fine study resource will be available for $12.00 per copy at the Disciples Women’s Spring Gathering at the Chiara Center in Springfield, IL on April 12, 2014. So pick up your name tag and event materials and then make sure that you pick up a copy of the
“Women of the Bible: Seeking Justice” for each of the women in your church. Join other Disciples women this spring as they come to know a bit more about our sisters in the Bible who sought justice and as they strive to be just women.
Where do you Hear Jesus?
For the last few years, the women who in the Disciples Women’s Spring Gathering have had an opportunity to participate in a special fundraiser and take home some wonderful gifts for themselves. Each year members of the CCIW Disciples Women’s Cabinet and women’s groups across the region have assembled theme centerpiece bags/baskets which have been offered to those present through a silent auction. Monies have gone to assist with projects of the IDWM and regional ministries. The money generated from this year’s auction will go to support eradication and the fight against Human trafficking. This year individuals and groups are asked to consider where they “HEAR JESUS” and assemble a theme basket to be offered in the silent auction.
Spend some time in your group brainstorming where you Hear Jesus. For some Jesus speaks very clearly while they are gardening – so a gardening basket would be great to assemble. Others have particular prayer practices that provide the space into which Jesus can speak – so a basket that provides materials to create a worship space would be great to assemble. Others may find God speaking in photography – so a photography basket or scrapbooking basket may be just the thing to bring. Come up with a theme and gather the materials to help someone else explore the possibility of a conversation with Jesus. Fill free to share how you chose your theme and include that as part of the contents.
Baskets will be gathered during registration and displayed throughout the day. Winners of the silent auction will be announced at the end of the day and bag/baskets can be taken home that day.